- This event has passed.
Responsible Governance for Healthy and Sustainable Smart Platforms: Policy directions for the collaborative economy
5th December 2016Free
Smart online platforms will be a vital enabler of future economic growth across the EU and a key component of the EU single digital market. They also promise new ways to pool and mobilise society’s resources with the potential to address various impending social and environmental crises.
However, to reap these benefits, new thinking is required around the regulation and governance of smart online platforms to ensure balanced interests, and to promote fair and safe forms of participation, particularly relating to the role played by algorithms and data in driving economies of scale.
This policy event will provide a forum to address the following questions:
- What are the challenges and opportunities for public policy of Smart Online Platforms?
- How can we leverage platforms for a more equal, just, and knowledgeable society?
- How can platforms play a role in reducing the social divide and retain hard-won rights and protections?
- What are the challenges and opportunities for existing industries from their disruptive business models?
- How should the regulatory environment change and what new regulatory institutions or instruments may be needed?
- How can these technologies support public objectives and help policy makers deliver solutions at greater scale and of greater impact?
This event is being organised by the Smart Society EU FET project which has been exploring technologies and governance models for the next generation of Smart Platforms. The event will include the launch of the Smart Society Social Charter, and high-profile keynote talks.
9.30 - 10.00 Registration 10.00 - 10.45 Keynote:The landscape of the collaborative economy, Helen Goulden (Nesta) 10.45 - 11.30 Keynote: Responsibility in Collaborative Economies (TBC) 11.30 - 12.00 Coffee 12.00 - 13.00 A Social Charter for Smart Platforms 13.00 - 13.30 Questions and Discussion 13.30 - 14.30 Lunch 14.30 - 15.15 Panel Session 15.15 - 16.00 Closing plenary session
- Smart Society project
- Scotland Europa Conference Centre – Brussels
Rond-point Robert Schuman 6
Brussels, 1040 Belgium + Google Map